One of the most frequently asked questions I encounter is this: “what shall I wear to my job interview?” – it can be a daunting occasion and you want to look and feel your best for it! I’m also often asked for job interview hair and make up advice, so I decided to make a YouTube video on all three things!
As you’ll see from the video, I discussed various difficulties: what to wear for different kinds of jobs, how to make an outfit look more (or less) formal and how to ensure you’re not stressed out about your look on the morning of the interview.
I’ve put together a little list of ‘top tips’ – I’ve personally used these at job interviews and they’ve worked great!
Top Tips for Job Interview Clothing, Hair and Make Up:
- Obviously, not every kind of job requires a stiff suit and prim-and-proper make up – but remember, if in doubt – less is more
- For an office job, you can never go wrong with a smart outfit (see the video!) – in an interview situation, you’re going to feel much less silly looking a bit too formal than a bit too casual
- If the job you’re applying for requires a creative mind, don’t be afraid to add in little extras that reflect your creative personality – an interesting piece of jewellery, an interesting use of colour in your eye make up or a unique hair accessory.
- Judge for yourself what you would deem appropriate as the interviewer: if you own a tattoo shop and someone turned up for an interview in a smart suit you would be slightly confused. This applies for almost every situation!
- Choose what to wear in plenty of time – a last minute scramble through your wardrobe at 8.45am is never going to end well!
- If in doubt, choose comfort over style (it pains me to type that!) – in an interview situation, you don’t want to be worrying about tripping over in those (gorgeous) heels on the way to the interview room!
- Take your make up with you in your bag – a last minute lipstick touch-up before the big moment can’t hurt!