Never before have I been this excited about a new beauty product – around a month ago, I was in my local Boots store and the lovely lady at the Benefit counter asked me if I’d like to be on the waiting list for their new mascara – the Benefit They’re Real Beyond Mascara. Being the beauty junkie and Benefit addict that I am, I naturally said yes – and this morning, I had a phone call to say my mascara was waiting for me in the store!
Gorgeous packaging, right? The mascara claims to “lengthen, curl, volumize, life and separate” – they even include a little ‘before’ and ‘after’ photo of their own:
The packaging also boasts some pretty impressive survey results (I know there’s a lot of controversy about how companies go about obtaining their results, but let’s give them the Benefit of the doubt – get it? Oh dear…)
I will examine these results by testing the mascara out and judging for myself whether they could be feasible – they really are incredibly impressive!
I was quite surprised when I saw the tube – it kind of reminded me of a potion bottle, and I liked it!
Isn’t it cute?
So, on to the brush – They’re Real makes a big thing of the new brush, and to be honest, I can see why – not only is it super slim and long, but the end of the brush looks like what Wayne Goss would call a ‘little medieval ball of pain’ – in other words, it’s designed for getting to the smallest lashes and coating every one.
And look a little closer…
So, let’s get down to the details of the review! I made sure that I started with clean, make-up-free lashes. I had been wearing Benefit’s BadGal Lash mascara previously, so I felt that it would be easier to make a direct comparison and see whether this mascara really does make your lashes look super long and volumized.
Don’t you just hate the look of bare lashes? Mascara is my one staple make up item, which is why I love to review them! I set about applying the mascara, and was generous with my application. I usually apply around 2-3 coats, and thought repeating this would be the best way for me to personally judge how well the mascara works. Here is the result:
WOW! I have to admit that, whist I was excited to get the product, I was a bit dubious about whether it would live up to its claims, but I am nervous no more! Let’s look closer at what it claims:
- 94% saw dramatic length and volume – I couldn’t disagree! The length, on both the top and bottom lashes, was achieved without pre-curling my lashes, so imagine what it would look like WITH a curl! Because I was able to nestle the thin brush right down at the base of my lashes, I could really get some decent volume, so very happy on both counts.
- 90% saw base-to-tip curl – again, I do feel this is the case, although I’m sure more of an extra curl could be achieved by pre-curling lashes
- 94% saw visible lift – this is undeniable, I’m not quite sure what the other 6% were looking at in the mirror!
- 100% saw long-wearing results – I’ll have to get back to you on that one!