Happy New Year! I’m so excited for 2016 – I’ve always been a fan of January 1st rolling around as it really does feel like a fresh start to me. December can often feel like a month of ‘meh-ness’ – take away the excitement of Christmas (which I do love) and you’re often left with a small sense of frustration. It could be frustration that goals weren’t quite achieved, or that things are somewhat unfinished, or that you’re not quite the person you thought you’d be at the end of the year. January offers a chance to rectify that…it’s a clean slate. I love it.
I want to share some of my goals for 2016 with you today. There are many more smaller things I hope to achieve this year, but hopefully those will become apparent as they happen. For now, there are these!
DO IT NOW
My mantra for the year is totally ridiculous. Which is why I think it might work. Remember those Buzzfeed-style posts that were going around last year about weird children’s books? There was one that always made me laugh more than it should – the touch-and-feel book extract made famous by its odd line: “Touch the COW. Do it now.” I can’t even explain why it tickled me so much, but here it is:
Anyway, I started sharing it with others who I thought would find it funny, and they all did. But my odd brain started to adopt the phrase in everyday life – if I just wanted to do something, or encourage someone else to just go for it, I’d say “touch the cow, do it now!” It’s strangely effective, and totally obscure, and I adore it. Here are a few things I am going to apply it to in 2016:
- Furthering my presenting career – just going for things and taking a chance is the only way to succeed. There’s no time like the present!
- Planning our wedding – the choices and options can feel overwhelming, but you’ve just got to look around and make up your mind on things. It’s impossible to do everything…it is only one day, after all.
- Bring my secret project full circle – long time readers of my blog will have heard me talk about this a few times. It’s actually done, but not fully realised yet. I want 2016 to be the year.
“Touch the cow, do it now” is also great for those little everyday situations – getting our oven fixed, for example. There was no chance of sorting it over Christmas, but it’s January now and anything is possible! Haha!
YouTube and Blogging
Towards the end of last year I totally overhauled my YouTube and blogging schedules, and now make much more regular content for you all! I’ll be carrying on with my usual Sunday and Thursday videos on my main channel, Chyaz, and my Monday videos on WhatTheHealth. I will also throw in a few bonus ones when I can too!
In terms of my blog, I’m going to try my best to stick to my three posts a week schedule – Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays. There may be a few gaps on a busy week, but I will try my hardest. I’d love my blog to grow in 2016, so please stay tuned.
Health and Fitness
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but on the health and fitness front I’m utterly determined to make some changes this year. The end of 2015 was a total fail for me in this respect – I didn’t work out for the last half of December and ate like it was going out of fashion. It left me feeling like crap. I don’t want to feel like crap, I want to feel like a sparkly unicorn.
For Christmas, Tiz bought me some awesome new weights and I have my FitnessBlender schedule ready to go on the workout side of things. That’s sorted. Healthy eating-wise, I am doing Veganuary as we speak, and already eating so much more of the good stuff and less of the bad. OK, it’s been a day, but it’s been an amazing day. I’m loving it! Fruits, vegetables, tofu, nuts, seeds, rice, pulses…bring it on. I’m aiming to look and feel as brilliant as I did when we went to Hong Kong in 2014 (see above!) so I have a solid goal in mind.
The Little Things
I’ve also made a few smaller resolutions – they’re not mind-blowing but they will add so much happiness. Things I want to do more of in 2016 include:
- Travelling – OK, not so little, but something I’m incredibly passionate about. I use the #ChyazTravels hashtag on Instagram when we go off on our adventures, and I want to see more of this amazing world this year. I’d absolutely love to do something on the blogging/YouTube front with regards to this – that’s the aim! But other than that, holidays with Tiz are right up there at the top of the list of ways I’ll find my happy in 2016.
- Theatre and concerts – Tiz and I have decided that we want to go to the theatre more, and what better time to start than January?! I also went to some amazing gigs last year, from The Offspring to Stereophonics, and want to see even more awesome bands this year too.
- Walking/hiking – this makes me so happy. I love discovering amazing scenery on our doorstep and getting immersed in nature for a little while. I’m a city girl at heart, but stepping outside of that world for a little while is a wonderful feeling.
So, there are some of my goals for 2016! What are yours? Please leave me a comment and share them below!