I have been a bit absent lately (what, you mean you haven’t noticed? Oh…) and I’ve mentioned why a couple of times in my videos – I’ve been on a very exciting work placement at the BBC, and have just one week left to go. It’s been a fantastic experience so far, but like all new experiences entering a new place of work for the first time can be nerve-racking. Whilst the feeling is still relatively fresh in my mind, here are some essential tips on handling your first day of work:
- SMILE – first impressions really do matter, and count for a lot. Smile at everyone you meet (not just those who you are working with directly). Not only does this give off a positive impression, but it might just make you feel calmer too.
- BE POLITE – shake hands with those you are introduced to, and don’t be afraid of introducing yourself to people you’ll be working with.
- ASK QUESTIONS – there’s nothing worse than feeling like you have no idea what’s going on. No one expects you to just ‘get’ how things work; ask about anything you’re worried about, and make sure you remember the answer for future reference.
- LOOK THE PART – if you’re unsure of the dress code, you can’t go wrong with a skirt/smart trousers and a sophisticated top for the first day. After that, you can judge for yourself how formal, or otherwise, your new place of work is, and start to throw your personality into your outfits.
- DON’T MAKE ENEMIES – if you’re the kind of person who either warms or cools to people instantly, open your mind a little more when you first start a new job. There may be someone who you find grating at first, but they could come to be a good friend. Don’t judge someone before you know them!
- GET TO KNOW THE AREA – find out, preferably in advance, what kind of amenities there are around your place of work. It would be highly embarrassing to state that you’re going out to grab a frappuccino when the nearest Starbucks (or similar) is miles away.
- ABOVE ALL – BE YOURSELF – whilst you’re busy being polite, smiley and happy, don’t forget to be yourself! People will only find out in time if you’re being fake, so be your genuine lovely self and all will be ok 🙂