Leggings are one of those strange fashions – history tells us they shouldn’t look or feel good (think back to dodgy photos from the 90s!) yet somehow, most of us love them. I’m no exception – I recently went as far as buying some leather-look leggings and feel no shame! A lot of my friends feel nervous about getting the look right, as it is easy to feel like leggings don’t suit you.
Here are a few of my handy tips for feeling fab in leggings:
- Heels are your best friend – if you’re wearing leggings on a night out, a pair of killer heels can make the outfit. They will elongate your legs and really slim you down. In the daytime, wedges can also look great and make you feel more confident.
- Get the right size! This sounds obvious, but if they’re even slightly too tight you’re in camel-toe territory, and if they’re slightly too big they look like a sack. Shop around and don’t settle for any fit less than perfect!
- Matching the top to the leggings is crucial – I find that the perfect top length is when it just covers the crotch and bum and starts skimming the thighs. Go longer if you want and shorter if you dare – the main thing is to feel comfortable.
- Don’t just stick to boring black cotton – there are so many types of leggings out there! As well as the standard black ones, I also love jeggings (I tend to stick to dark coloured ones though) and my new leather-look ones are a current addiction. Take a chance and try them on – if you don’t like them, you don’t have to buy them!
- Dress down the leggings and dress up the rest – plain leggings with eye-catching heels and a stunning top works perfectly. It also means that, if you’re self-conscious about your legs, that the attention is diverted away to the more glamorous parts of your outfit.
- Find the right length – if you have long legs, the calf-length leggings can look lovely and are cooler for the summer. If you’re like me and have short legs, full-length leggings are more suitable as they don’t cut your leg off at the calf, making it look shorter still!