Just lately, my life has revolved around downsizing my belongings – Tiz and I have just moved to a city centre flat and we have less room than before!
I feel a bit of an expert in clearing out my wardrobe after the past few weeks, and thought it would be helpful to pass on some of my tips! I’m sure we all know that feeling of thinking “Ooh, I shouldn’t buy this dress/these shoes/this skirt but it’s just so gorgeous!” – I’ve had too many of those moments and am paying for it now!
I would say that I’ve reduced the contents of my wardrobe by 40% – that includes clothing, shoes and accessories. To give you an idea of my habits, here is just a snapshot of my shoe collection!
- If you haven’t worn it for a year, either get rid or store it away – if an item isn’t something you wear regularly, it doesn’t deserve wardrobe space!
- Charity shops always, always appreciate good quality clothing – I have given more items of clothing to charity this year than ever before, and it comes with a feel-good factor too!
- eBay is your best friend. I love to sell special pieces on eBay, and they can fetch a surprising amount of money!
- If you have access to attic or loft space (or your parents do) then always ask if you can store more special items. I have some gorgeous dresses that I can’t wear on a regular basis happily waiting in the loft for future occasions.
- Find alternative storage – you can find super affordable under-bed storage solutions in places like Home Bargains and Poundland. It frees up precious closet space!
- If you have items of clothing or pairs of shoes that are very similar to each other, figure out which you love most and either sell or donate the others. I promise that you’ll miss them much less than you imagine!
A few tips, but hopefully very helpful ones! If you have any further ones I’d absolutely love to hear them, as saving wardrobe space is a big priority at the moment!