We all know that we should try to eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day; they provide us with essential nutrients, are good for your waistline and many even help your skin look great too. But sometimes it just seems like such an effort to work 5 portions into your daily diet.
I’m constantly trying to think of new ways to get my 5 a day without it taking up too much time in my day planning it out. Here are some of my tips!
- Try a ready-made smoothie for breakfast. I love Innocent smoothies and each serving contains 2 portions of fruit! Have one of these for breakfast – or as part of it if you’re a big breakfast eater – and you’re already 2/5 of the way there!
- Work a portion into lunch the easy way; if you grab lunch on the go, try to pick up a piece of fruit as you go. Lots of places tend to sell extras like small bags of mini carrots, or apple and grapes; they all make a great accompaniment to lunch!
- Eat the fruit and veg you like! For example, I can’t stand cooked carrots or broccoli but love sweetcorn and asparagus. One of my favourite meals is steamed asparagus and baby sweetcorn with grilled salmon.
- A small addition to a meal can go a long way. I was talking to a friend today who told me that she piled vegetables into spaghetti bolognese, and sometimes even leaves out the meat! Peppers, mushrooms and sweetcorn would work wonderfully.
- Keep small tubs of prepared fruit and veg in the fridge for snacking; I love snacking on sliced cucumber, carrot sticks and apple.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things; I never knew how much I loved asparagus until I tried it by accident. You might surprise yourself!
I hope my tips have been helpful!