The title of this blog post might seem a little strange coming from a beauty blogger, but in fact, on a daily basis I wear very little make up. Friends of mine wear full make up each day, and often ask me for tips on how to wear less and still feel confident.
I’ve come up with a few top tips on how to cut down on the amount of make up you wear and still look the way you’d like to. Before I start, let me say that it is completely up to you how much make up you wear – wearing more or less doesn’t make you a better person! These tips might come in handy if you don’t have as much time in the morning to get ready, or just don’t feel like wearing a lot of make up some days.
To put into context my usual make up usage, here is me on a fairly typical day:
I usually wear just mascara and a bit of eyeliner. I’m often asked which foundation I use, but I don’t actually wear one! Now that we’ve got some context about me, let’s get on with my top tips.
- My view is that there is no substitute for a good skincare routine. As I mentioned, I rarely wear foundation but I do keep up a consistent and tailored skincare routine. If I want to add a bit of colour to my face, I use the Simple Sun Kissed Moisture Cream, which builds a light tan but doesn’t leave you looking unnaturally tanned.
- If I want to highlight my skin in a more natural way, I love using the Simple Radiance Moisturiser on my cheekbones. It has light-reflecting particles in it and does a pretty good job as a highlighter!
- If you still want some coverage, a BB Cream could be the way forward. Different countries have different brands of them, so visit Google and read some reviews on ones you can pick up!
- This might sound a little hypocritical, as I make videos on YouTube with sometimes complicated eyeshadow looks, but you really can achieve a cute look with only a couple of products.
- One of my favourites: Prime your eyes, take a dusky grey shadow and work it into your crease and down towards the outer corner of your lid. Add a little black eyeliner and mascara and you’re done! It will take well under 5 minutes and looks very cute.
- Alternatively, one of the most classic looks is a simple sweet of black liquid or gel eyeliner with some mascara and a flick towards the outer corner. It’s timeless and will take you no time at all!
- I know a lot of people who wouldn’t dare leave the house with bare lips and own every shade of lipgloss under the sun. Lipgloss is lovely, but some days you’d just rather have make up free lips. The best tip is to keep a lip balm on you at all times – it cuts out the stickiness of a gloss but still keeps your lips looking lush.
- If you still want to add some colour to your lips but don’t want to spend hours doing so, there are some lipsticks which are super pigmented and don’t require a lipliner underneath. My classic example is Rockalily lipsticks, which do the job perfectly.
So there you go – some super simple tips which could save you some time and money. They’re not for everyone, but they could just help.